Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Art


Tate and I went down to Lincoln Road on Saturday night - we went and picked up the little Munny Show teaser flyers for Art Basel and then wanted to check out the "We'll Make a Lover Out of You" art show at Art|Center. The show looks great and it runs through January 21, 2007 so you have no excuse not to go and see it!!

We had a great evening walking around Lincoln Road. It was really busy, but everyone was very friendly except for our waiter. He was a bit of a dickhead, but the food was delicious. ;-)

We met a few artists, including Bianca (below) who was right outside the Art|Center selling some of her work. She was doing watercolor portraits at very reasonable prices and once I saw how talented she was I couldn't resist. I have had bad experiences in the past with these types of things, but I figured I'd give it a go.

It is a SURREAL experience to stand there facing crowds of people walking by while they gawk and judge you against the artist rendering. I had to stay still and didn't look at their faces, so I couldn't gauge their reactions. The anticipation about what it will look like is part of the fun! I'm staying still in this photo that is why I look kind of "blank". :-) We will be showing some of Bianca's portraits at Bear and Bird in 2007, so this is not the last you will see of her! :-)

One last thing: We saw a man with no arms doing these crazy psychedelic-type drawings. He was using his feet/toes and methodically colored in the swirls with small tip pens of different colors. Tate wanted to go talk to him, but I was scared!! While I was getting my portrait done by Briana Tate chatted with the jewelry vendor next to her. He told Tate that the armless man's artwork was $150! In the grand scheme of things, that is not expensive AND he is a novelty in that he does them with his toes - but it shocked me at the time. Does he sell anything?? I can't imagine.

No comments: